O! for a horse with wings! ~Shakespeare



Shelly fulfilled another dream this past summer (2008). With the help and encouragement of her riding therapists Janet and Shari, she learned some basic dressage movements. Her two lovely steeds, Ghost and Pete, couldn't have been more cooperative and careful with her. It was hard work for her but pure joy as well. I smile as I remember her smiles of happiness and real sense of accomplishment.

I think Shelly would be pleased to know that her English saddle has an important job... it will be used by physically-challenged children and adults benefiting from therapeutic riding sessions.

Can't help but think of some similarities between Shelly and another adventurous, six-foot tall young woman, Beryl Markham (1902-1986). She was the first person to fly the Atlantic solo east to west. She was an author (West With the Night) and also became a successful racehorse trainer in Africa. She once wrote, "A lovely horse is always an experience... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words."


My horse's feet are as swift as rolling thunder,
He carries me away from all my fears.
And when the world threatens to fall asunder,
His mane is there to wipe away my tears.

~Bonnie Lewis


L.