Hello Everybody...

In addition to the emails, voice messages, letters, and cards; a beautiful quilt from Fairbanks friends recently arrived...inspiring me to let folks know where I'm at and how best to contact me.
Most of you already know my story, but for those of you that don't, I wanted to share my basic diagnosis, in the hopes that someone else might avoid what I've gone through. In August 2004, I accidentally slammed my right finger in a door. The injury appeared to be a typical bruise under my finger-nail, only it never seemed to heal. Seven months and several misdiagnoses later, in March 2005, I was diagnosed with subungual melanoma (aka: 'acral lentiginous'; basically melanoma under the fingernail) and advised to amputate the finger. Before amputation, I sought a second opinion, and friends and family accompanied me to the Mayo Clinic, where I have received treatment ever since. Turns out, there are an overwhelming number of cases of subungual melanoma that started as an injury to a finger or a toe. It's thought that sometimes an injury leads to chronic inflammation and triggers an abnormal healing response, termed 'pyogenic granuloma'. When this abnormal healing process goes haywire, it can become cancer. Had I, or one of the clinicians I visited, known about this possibility and biopsied the tissue early on...the progression of the melanoma cancer may have never had the opportunity to occur.

Many of you knew that I had been dealing with this progressive melanoma over the past three years, but I also realize that some of you might not have had any idea. In short, I was able to be fairly independent up until this December, but things have taken a significant turn for the worse and I'm now having to rely more and more on others. At present, I am enrolled in a hospice program
in Minnesota and don't have a lot of energy for returning phone calls and emails, but I do appreciate receiving them. My folks and friends who are down here with me, are fielding a lot of your calls and printing emails for me to read...and I'll try to get back to those I can. However, if I'm unable to do so...please know I'm thinking of you, and that your support is very much felt.

Thank you,
Shelly